Bhubaneswar Explosion: Two Killed After Suspected Bomb-Making Attempt in Airfield Area
- bySagar
- 16 Feb, 2026
A powerful explosion in the Airfield locality of Bhubaneswar has left two people dead and several others critically injured, triggering shock and concern across the city. Authorities believe the blast occurred while improvised explosive devices were allegedly being assembled on the rooftop of a residential building. The incident, which unfolded in late January, has since drawn the attention of forensic experts and central agencies.
Blast Rocks Residential Neighborhood
The explosion took place on January 27 in a three-storey building under the jurisdiction of the Airfield police station. According to police officials, the blast was so intense that it caused severe burn injuries to those present on the terrace at the time.
One of the deceased has been identified as 26-year-old Shahnawaz Malik, described by investigators as a history-sheeter with multiple criminal cases registered against him. He succumbed to his injuries on February 4 while undergoing treatment. His mother, 51-year-old Lijjatun Bibi, who was also critically injured in the explosion, died on February 10 at SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.
Two others — Malik’s fiancée, 23-year-old Truptimayee Mahal, and an associate, 27-year-old Amiya Malik — sustained serious injuries and are currently receiving treatment at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar. Their condition is reported to be stable but critical.
Police Investigation Points to Illegal Explosives
Preliminary findings suggest that the explosion occurred during the alleged preparation of country-made bombs. Investigators believe the devices were being assembled on the rooftop when the materials detonated unexpectedly.
Police sources revealed that Shahnawaz Malik was not an ordinary resident. He reportedly had seven criminal cases filed against him, including charges under the Arms Act and attempt to murder. He had previously been jailed following a political clash in the Nayapalli area and was released on bail approximately six months before the explosion.
Authorities stated that while Malik had been under general surveillance due to his criminal history, there was no prior intelligence indicating that he was engaged in such dangerous activities inside his residence.
An officer from the Airfield police station confirmed that the severity of Malik’s injuries made survival unlikely. “The blast appears to have occurred during the assembly of explosive materials. The force of the explosion indicates the presence of high-intensity substances,” the officer said.
Forensic Teams Probe Use of High-Grade Explosives
The magnitude of the explosion prompted the immediate deployment of forensic experts and bomb disposal squads. Investigators are examining whether a high-grade explosive compound was used in the device-making process.
Early forensic inputs suggest the possible presence of Hexahydro Trinitro Triazine (commonly associated with powerful explosives), although officials emphasized that a detailed laboratory report is still awaited. If confirmed, the use of such a compound would raise serious concerns about the source and intended use of the materials.
Police have seized raw materials and other suspicious items from the site, which are now undergoing scientific examination. Authorities are also reviewing digital evidence and call records to determine whether Malik acted alone or had assistance.
Residents Caught Unaware
What has further alarmed the community is that other tenants living in the same building reportedly had no knowledge of the alleged bomb-making activities taking place above them.
One resident stated that the explosion came without warning. “We had absolutely no idea what was happening upstairs. Our lives were at risk without us even knowing,” the tenant said.
The blast caused panic in the neighborhood, with residents rushing out of their homes as flames and smoke billowed from the terrace. A video circulating locally shows scenes of chaos immediately after the explosion, though officials have urged the public to avoid spreading unverified footage.
No Terror Link Established So Far
Given the seriousness of the incident, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) conducted a preliminary assessment of the case. However, the agency has so far ruled out any direct terror or radicalization links.
Investigators are continuing to examine whether the explosives were intended for personal vendetta, criminal activity, or a larger conspiracy. Police officials have stated that all angles remain under scrutiny.
The tragic deaths and the discovery of suspected explosive materials have raised urgent questions about public safety and surveillance. As the forensic report is awaited, authorities are tightening checks on illegal explosive substances to prevent similar incidents in the future.






