Travel Tips: If you want to go abroad with your wife, then prepare these documents!
Everyone dreams of traveling abroad, whether on a budget or for a luxury trip. Some people wish to obtain an International Driving License (IDP) to drive freely in foreign countries. However, many people are unaware of the documents and application process required to obtain an IDP.
In India, the process of obtaining an International Driving Permit (IDP) involves several steps:
- Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways or the concerned Regional Transport Office (RTO).
- If applying online, fill out Form 4A (Certificate of Applicant's Ability to Drive) and Form 1A (A Medical Fitness Form), which are required documents for IDP application.
- Provide details like name, address, driver's license number, and the country you want to visit.
- Along with the application form, you will need to submit the necessary documents and forms, which include a copy of your valid driver's license, passport, visa, flight ticket, medical fitness certificate, and the application fee, which is currently Rs 1,000.
- Passing a driving test is a mandatory requirement for obtaining an IDP.
- Pay the processing fee, which may vary from one RTO to another.
- Once the application process is complete, you will receive your IDP within four to five days on your application number.
It is important to note that the IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue or till the expiry of your original driving license, whichever is earlier. You can use it to drive in foreign countries that recognize it.
For Indian citizens, the following documents are required when applying for IDP:
- Form 4A
- A copy of a valid driving license
- Copy of passport and visa
- Flight ticket
- Medical fitness certificate
- Application fee Rs 1,000
- Five passport-size photographs
- Proof of Indian Citizenship
- Proof of address
- Age proof
The benefits of being an IDP include:
Proof of Competency: An IDP serves as proof of your driving ability.
Multilingual translation: An IDP is available in different languages, which helps foreign authorities understand your license details, especially in countries where your language is not spoken.
No need for additional tests: IDP holders can often bypass driving tests in their destination countries.
Wide acceptance: IDP is accepted as a valid document in over 150 countries.
Currently, IDPs issued in India are valid for one year, and renewal options are not available. People who get their IDP within three months of getting their driver's license may need to retake the driving test.