Tatkal Ticket Booking: How and how much time in advance you can book a Tatkal ticket, how to get a confirmed ticket, and know everything!
Indian Railways provides a Tatkal ticket booking facility for passengers a day before their journey. However, getting a confirmed ticket is one of the most challenging tasks for rail travelers these days. It is even more difficult to get a berth/seat during the festival season or during holidays and vacations.
Know about its history and tips to get confirmed tickets: –
When was the Tatkal ticket booking system started?
The national transporter introduced the 'Tatkal ticket' booking system or 'Tatkal reservation' system in December 1997. However, this scheme has been revised in the years 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, and so on.
Why Tatkal Reservation System was introduced?
Indian Railways has introduced Tatkal Reservation System so that passengers can travel at short notice. It also aims to save such passengers from the clutches of anti-social elements and touts. Initially, this scheme was available in around 110 trains and mainly in sleeper classes. At that time an additional coach was used for this.
PC: DNA India
How to book a tatkal ticket?
Tatkal tickets can be booked both online and offline. Passengers can book tickets through the IRCTC website or app. In offline mode, passengers will have to visit Passenger Reservation System (PRS).
Tatkal Ticket Timings:-
At present the booking of Tatkal tickets will open at 10:00 hrs on the previous day of journey from the train originating station. For example, if a train is to depart from the originating station on the 4th of the month, Tatkal quota booking through both Internet (IRCTC website) and the reservation counter for that particular train can be done on the 3rd of the month at 10:00 hrs Will open The booking of berth/seat in sleeper class starts at 11:00 am while in AC coach starts at 10:00 am.
Know how to get a confirmed Tatkal ticket?
It is good to buy or book Tatkal tickets online instead of standing in queues at PRS counters. The seats get fully booked within 20 seconds to one minute. So getting a confirmed ticket at the last moment of the journey is a difficult task. Here are some steps to get a confirmed ticket -
- Make sure that the device i.e. laptop or mobile phone works properly.
- Has fast internet connectivity.
Do these things before the time of the tatkal ticket:-
- Passenger has to visit the IRCTC website or mobile app.
- Log in using your username, password, and captcha or OTP.
- Click on My Account - My Profile - Master List.
- Add details such as the passenger's name, date of birth, gender, berth preference, food preference, ID card type, and ID card number.
Once the Tatkal booking is started, the passenger has to follow these steps:-
- Open the IRCTC app or website.
- Login using Username, Password, and Captcha.
- Click on Book Ticket.
- Enter journey details, date, class, and quota.
- Select the train and class once again.
- Click on Book Now and go to the next page.
- Enter passenger details (search name from master list).
- Proceed to make payment.
- After the successful completion of payment, the fixed seats will be allotted.