Kitchen Hacks: Clean mite-infested pulses and rice with these methods, insects will be removed easily
Sat, 20 May 2023|
Sure! Here are a few kitchen hacks to help clean mite-infested pulses and rice:
- Place the mite-infested pulses or rice in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
- Place the container or bag in the freezer for 2 to 3 days.
- The freezing temperatures will kill the mites and their eggs.
- After the required time, remove the pulses or rice from the freezer and let them thaw to room temperature.
- Discard any dead mites or debris and use the cleaned pulses or rice as desired.
- Spread the mite-infested pulses or rice on a clean, dry surface like a tray or large plate.
- Place the tray in direct sunlight for a few hours.
- The heat and sunlight will help kill the mites and discourage their growth.
- After exposure to sunlight, gently shake or sieve the pulses or rice to remove any dead mites or debris.
- Use the cleaned pulses or rice as desired.
- Use a fine mesh sieve or a strainer with small holes.
- Pour the mite-infested pulses or rice into the sieve or strainer.
- Gently shake the sieve or strainer to allow the mites and debris to fall through the holes.
- Keep repeating this process until the pulses or rice appear clean and free from mites.
- Rinse the cleaned pulses or rice with water and use as desired.
Remember to store pulses, rice, and other grains in airtight containers to prevent re-infestation. Regularly inspect and clean your pantry to avoid mite infestations.
Note: If the infestation is severe or persists despite these methods, it's advisable to discard the affected pulses or rice to ensure food safety.