Health Tips: Do not let your newborn baby lick honey even by mistake, it can cause serious problems.


Honey is very beneficial for our health. However, making a newborn baby lick honey after birth can cause major problems. For this reason you should not do this even by mistake. Honey contains spores of a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum.

Due to this bacteria the child may have to face a serious illness. Its name is called botulism. Infantile botulism usually occurs in children. Children younger than one year of age do not have good bacteria in their gut to protect themselves from these spores.


For this reason, if a child is given honey to lick at the time of birth, he may fall seriously ill. For this reason, a child younger than one year should not lick honey even by mistake. Symptoms of botulism disease in the child start appearing within 6 hours to 30 days.