Dementia Disease: More than 1 crore people in India have dementia! revealed in the study


Dementia Disease: In India, more than 10 million people aged 60 or more may have dementia. We are not saying this, rather this claim has been made in a study. A new study published in the Journal of Neuroepidemiology has found that more than one crore population of India is suffering from dementia disease. This figure is equal to the figures recorded in America, Britain and other countries.


According to the research, an artificial intelligence technique called semi-supervised machine learning was used to analyze the data of 31,477 older adults. Researchers found that the prevalence of dementia among people aged 60 years and above in India is 8.44 per cent, which is equivalent to 10.08 million senior citizens in the country.

How Dementia Is Diagnosed
The artificial intelligence learning model used in the study was created by a group of researchers from different institutions, including the University of Surrey, the University of Michigan, the University of Southern California and the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS). The model was merged with the data. This included a labelled dataset of approximately 70% of those diagnosed with dementia through a new online consensus. The remaining 30 per cent of the data was used to test the accuracy of the AI predictions.


Who is more affected by dementia?
The research concluded that the rate of dementia was higher among the elderly, women, illiterate people and people living in rural areas. According to Haomiao Jin, co-author of this study and health data science lecturer at the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom, more than 30,000 senior citizens were included in the investigation done on ageing in India.