Tomato Fever in India: Is this disease as deadly as Corona? Click to know how you can stay safe!
The Covid-19 pandemic was one of the biggest health crises facing the world when it was at its peak, with India reporting over one lakh cases per day during the second wave of the outbreak. Now, India is facing another threat to public health – Tomato Fever.
More than 80 cases of the viral disease have been detected in Kerala so far, taking the total number of tomato fever outbreaks to 100. Karnataka Health Minister K Sudhakar said there is no reason to be concerned about the outbreak, while health experts have notified several precautions that can be taken to contain the infection.
Is Tomato Fever as Dangerous as Covid-19?
In most cases of tomato fever or tomato flu, the patient is a child. A person infected with the viral disease experiences skin rashes, dehydration, and skin irritation. Like any other flu, tomato fever is contagious.
Like COVID-19, it is advisable to isolate a person infected with tomato fever as the disease can spread rapidly. Rest and proper hygiene are also essential parts of preventing the spread of tomato fever.
When it comes to getting infected with tomato fever, there is some relief, as no one has died due to this virus so far. Unlike the coronavirus, tomato fever is not yet a fatal disease. Most of the symptoms experienced are mild, and there are few or no cases of hospitalization due to viral illness.
How to protect your kids from Tomato Fever?
First and foremost, if your child is experiencing any symptoms of tomato fever, it is advisable that you seek medical attention immediately. You can follow some preventive measures to keep your kids safe from tomato fever –
- Avoid scratching the blisters or rashes on the skin.
- Maintain proper hygiene and cleanliness in the house.
- Make sure the baby is bathing frequently, preferably with cold water.
- Maintain a safe distance from an infected person or person displaying symptoms of tomato fever.
- Tomato fever although not fatal, can affect a child's immunity as it can cause fever and other flu-like symptoms. It is advised that anyone infected with the virus seek medical attention immediately.