Brain-eating Amoeba: 12-year-old boy infected with brain-eating amoeba, third case in Kerala


The third case of brain-eating amoeba has been reported from Kerala. The boy's condition is very serious. Doctors said that he is being treated. They said that the mortality rate of a person from this disease is 95 to 100 percent. So far, 2 people have died from this disease.

A boy in Kozhikode district of Kerala is suffering from a rare brain infection caused by amoeba, this infection is called amoebic meningoencephalitis. Information about this case has been given by a private hospital in Kerala, currently his condition is critical, for which he has been admitted to Baby Memorial Hospital.

This is the third case of this deadly rare brain infection. The boy was admitted to Baby Memorial Hospital on Monday, June 24, where doctors identified the infection and he is being treated since then. This deadly amoeba is found in dirty water and anyone can come in contact with this amoeba by bathing or diving in dirty water.

The condition is very serious, treatment is going on

Doctors said that the boy's condition is very serious. Talking about this, the doctors said that the mortality rate of a person from this disease is 95 to 100 percent. The doctor treating the boy said that the disease was identified soon and its treatment was started immediately, because the hospital had all the necessary equipment to treat this disease.

This is the third case, 2 deaths have occurred

So far, 2 people have died due to this disease. Its first case was seen in a 5-year-old girl from Malappuram village, who died on 21 May, after which the second death due to this infection was of a 13-year-old girl from Kannur, which happened on 25 June. The health department has asked people to take precautions to avoid this disease. This disease was earlier seen in the coastal Alappuzha district of the state in 2023 and 2017.

The symptoms of this disease are very common, in this the person suffers from fever, headache, vomiting and dizziness. This amoeba enters the body through water through the nose and ears.