Despite all necessary precautions being taken by the Indian cricket team in the ongoing tour of England, one among 23 Indian cricketers has tested positive for COVID-19 during the 20-day break after the World Test Championship final.
This news comes after BCCI secretary Jay Shah recently sent an e-mail to the Indian contingent in the United Kingdom warning about the rising cases of COVID-19. The team is to regroup at the Bio Bubble in Durham ahead of the Test series against England next month. The cricketer who tested positive will not travel with the team to Durham on Thursday.
BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla told PTI on Thursday: "Yes, a player has tested positive but he is in quarantine for the last eight days. He was not staying in any hotel with the team, so no other player was affected. But I can't name the player."
"So far no other player has tested positive. You should also know that our secretary Jay Shah has written a letter to all the players to maintain the protocol," Shukla said.
However, BCCI sources claimed that the player in question is wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant. "He is in quarantine with an acquaintance and will not travel to Durham with the team on Thursday," a BCCI source said.
The Indian team will leave London on Thursday and travel to Durham, two-and-a-half hours from Trent Bridge, the venue of the first Test against England, to play two warm-up matches. The first is a four-day match against United County XI starting on July 20, followed by an intra-squad game in the final week.
The Indian team will travel to Nottingham on 30 July. Indian cricketers - who received their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine in India before flying - also received their second dose in the UK earlier this month.