Fenugreek leaves are easily available in winter. You can make Kasurimethi from these leaves with some easy methods and you can use them.
Indian kitchen is famous all over the world not only because of its taste. To enhance the taste of food, the most important are the spices and herbs. Kasuri fenugreek is one of such spices. Whether it is paneer kisabzi or potato, tomato curry, kasoorimethi is used to make the taste wonderful.
People usually bring Kasurimethi from the market and use it for cooking. But fresh fenugreek leaves are easily available in the winter season and Kasurimethi can be prepared at home from these leaves in very easy ways. This KasuriMethi prepared from fresh fenugreek leaves is excellent in both taste and aroma. Kasurimethi can be prepared at home with a few easy steps. Homemade spices are fresh, pure, and clean. So let's learn this process step by step.
Fresh Methi Leaves - 1 bunch
Method of making
To make KasuriMethi, firstly remove the fresh fenugreek leaves from their stem and soak them in saltwater for 10 minutes. Then wash those leaves thoroughly. Dry the fenugreek leaves lightly in a large towel. For this, wrap the fenugreek leaves in a towel for a while.
Cut the leaves roughly. Spread fenugreek leaves in a newspaper or large-sized tissue paper and allow drying for 3 days. Keep in mind that keeps them in such a way that they are not exposed to direct sunlight.
Allow the leaves to dry under shade as drying in the shade retains the color and fragrance of the leaves. You can also keep it under the fan for quick drying. It will take about two days to dry in the fan. After that, keep it in the sun for only 1 hour to make the leaves crisp.
Once the leaves have dried thoroughly, sieve them through a sieve to ensure that there is no dust on the leaves. Now place the leaves in a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 1 minute, shake once after 30 seconds. Let cool completely.
Homemade KasuriMethi is ready. You can separate the leaves by crushing them or keep them. Store them in an airtight container or zip lock bag in a cool dry place away from moisture.
How to make KasuriMethi in the microwave
- You can make Kasurimethi in just 10 minutes using an oven or microwave.
- For this, separate the fresh leaves from the fenugreek stem. Wash the fenugreek leaves thoroughly so that the dirt comes out with water.
- Place the cleaned leaves on a plate and dry with a thick towel.
- When dry, place the leaves in a microwave-safe bowl. Spread it evenly, keep it inside the microwave and fry it at maximum temperature for about 3 minutes.
- Take out the fenugreek leaves and flip the sides of the fenugreek leaves using a spatula.
- Put them back in and fry again at maximum temperature for 3 minutes. Take it out and shake again from the bottom.
- Place it once again in the microwave oven and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Take it out, let it cool completely, and crush it with your hands. Your KasuriMethi is ready.
How to store
Place the KasuriMethi in a clean glass jar and store it in the refrigerator for about 6 months. You can use it for 6 months because after this the color of its leaves starts deteriorating and the fragrance also changes which can spoil the taste. Keep in mind that these dried leaves are kept away from moisture and you can also use them by washing them with water at the time of use. You can use it to enhance the taste of any vegetable.
Image Credit: Shutterstock and freepik