Lebanon: The silos left in the Beirut blast now become dangerous, can be destroyed

625

In the Lebanese capital Beirut, there was a huge loss of life and property in the blast in August last year. Experts warned in a report published on Monday that the severely damaged grain storage buildings (silos) should be demolished for safety. It survived last year's Beirut harbor explosion but now poses a threat.



Experts said the new silos would have to be made at a different location. At the same time, Aman Engineering, a Swiss company, has offered laser technology to cover silos. Also, the company has said in the report that our recommendation is to proceed with the reconstruction of this block.


More than 200 people were killed in a massive blast on August 4 in Lebanon's capital, Beirut. At the same time, more than 6,500 people were injured.

Also, more than 50,000 houses were damaged in this blast. Half of the buildings in the city were also damaged due to the massive explosion at the port of Beirut on 4 August. Officials had said that improper storage of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate in the port was the main reason behind the explosion.

Experts said that silos absorbed the impact of the explosion much and saved large areas of West Beirut from its devastating effects. It has now been warned that Silos suffered such severe damage that they are bending at dangerous levels.