At least 18 people were killed and 57 others were injured in Saturday's suicide attack in Pul-e-Khoshk area of Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital. They also include children. Tolo News quoted Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Ariyan as saying that at least 18 people had died in the blast. The death toll may increase further.
According to eyewitnesses, the blast took place near the training center located in the Shia-dominated area of western Kabul. Tariq Arien said that the attacker was stopped by security forces while trying to forcefully enter the center, he blew himself up.
The terrorist organization Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the blast. The Taliban has denied any connection to this attack. Earlier, the IS-related organization claimed responsibility for a similar attack in August 2018. 34 students were killed in this attack.
Arian said the death toll could increase further as the families of the victims are still searching in various hospitals where the injured have been taken. Within Afghanistan, the Islamic State has started on a large minority of Shias, Sikhs, and Hindus whom it considers non-religious.
Hundreds of Hindus and Sikhs have fled the country in September after a gunman loyal to the Islamic State in Kabul attacked a religious site in Kabul and killed 25 people.
At the same time, the US entered into a peace agreement with the Taliban in February, which opened the way for the withdrawal of American forces from the country. US officials said the deal would focus on strengthening security in the fight against the Islamic State. The Islamic State is a rival to the Taliban.
The country has seen an increase in violence between the Taliban and Afghan forces. At the same time, representatives of the Taliban and the government are holding peace talks in Doha, the capital of Qatar, to end the decades-long war in Afghanistan.
Earlier on Saturday, nine people died in a roadside blast in eastern Afghanistan. The minivan was hit by the explosion, in which ordinary people were sitting.
Ghazni province police spokesman Ahmed Khan Sirat said two policemen were killed in the second roadside explosion. In the grip of the explosion, a policeman's car arrived, which was earlier going to the site of the blast to help the victims.
Seirat said that many others have also been injured in the blasts and the attacks are under investigation. No organization has taken responsibility for the attacks immediately. A spokesman for the provincial police claimed that the bombs were planted by the Taliban.