Some say Chinese cuisine is years old leaving reverse to the Peking man and his use of fire. Some supplementary accounts of the past of Chinese cuisine take the commencement to the Chinese back age. However today Chinese cooking enjoys the difference of being the mainly popular in the world. This entire furore concerning Chinese food can make one wonder what is so special about this cuisine. To put it in one word it is healthy. It has the individuality of being nutritious, economical, balanced and delicious. It cannot be gain conveyed that Chinese food is accepted the world over and it can be adapted into our modern lifestyles as the strong link between diet and health of body, mind and spirit is epitomized in Chinese cookery. We all desire agreement in our lives and this works on the very old Taoist principle of Yin and Yang in which balance and contrast are the key. Each Chinese dish reflects a balance of taste, texture, aroma and colour. Be it sweet, sour, pungent, hot, salty or spicy – all the six basic flavours are incorporated deftly in all Chinese dishes. So here is the recipe of yummy vegetable Spring Rolls:
- Spring roll wrappers 10
- Spring onions thinly sliced 2
- Onion thinly sliced 1 medium
- Carrots cut into thin strips 2 medium
- Green capsicum cut into thin strips 1 medium
- Cabbage finely shredded 1/2 small
- Oil 2 tablespo
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- Bean sprouts 3/4 cup
- Spring onion greens chopped 2 stalks
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 tablespoon
- To make the stuffing, heat 2 tbsps oil in a non stick wok. Add onion, spring onions, carrots, capsicum, cabbage and salt and toss.
- Add pepper powder and soy sauce and mix. Add bean sprouts and spring onion greens and mix. Cook till the vegetables soften.
- Take the wok off the heat and set aside to cool. Heat sufficient oil in a wok. Make a paste of cornflour with 2 tbsps water.
- Spread the spring roll wrappers on the work top. Divide the stuffing into 10 portions and place a portion on one side of each wrapper. Fold in the edges and roll tightly.
- Apply cornflour paste to open end and seal. Keep the rolls under a damp cloth. Gently slide into the hot oil and deep fry till golden and crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Cut into smaller pieces and serve.