A favourite with the vegetarians, paneer made from milk is quite common, especially paneer recipes are quite popular in the Indian subcontinent. You can make it fresh, chhena – an another version or just use the ones that are readily available in the market to prepare everything from simple snacks, curries, sabzis, mithais, desserts and the likes. An ingredient that can be relished in the raw form too – try serving it as a starter just sprinkled with a little chaat masala, black salt and chilli powder!. So here is the recipe:
- Paneer (cottage cheese) cut into batons 250 grams
- Garlic crushed 2 tablespoons
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Celery finely chopped 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies finely chopped 2
- Vegetable stock 1½ cups
- Red chilli sauce 1 teaspoon
- Soy sauce 2 teaspoons
- Tomato ketchup 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- Sugar ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves finely chopped, 2 teaspoon + for garnishing
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick wok, add garlic and sauté till it turns golden brown. Add celery, green chillies and vegetable stock and mix well.
- Add red chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, salt crushed peppercorns, sugar and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Combine water and cornflour in a bowl to make a smooth paste. Add this slurry to the pan.
- Add cottage cheese batons and mix well. Add vinegar and mix lightly. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.