These Veggie Nuggets hit that trifeca of kid-friendliness. Because sometimes veggies can be a hard sell with the younger set. I’m not a fan of “hiding” veggies in other foods as the sole way of serving them–I think fresh veggies should be fixtures on the table too. But I AM a fan of trying all kinds of spins on preparing them.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Shred carrots (I use my food processor's shredding attachment).
- Steam broccoli in the microwave for two minutes or until tender.
- Place shredded carrots, steamed broccoli, garlic, eggs, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, cheese, onion powder, and black pepper in food processor and pulse for 15 seconds or until well combined. Mixture should form easily into a ball. If it's too crumbly, add water one teaspoon at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Form mixture into balls, about a tablespoon each (I use a cookie scoop). You should get about 25 nuggets. Flatten slightly into round discs about ½-inch thick.
- Place remaining ¼ cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Coat each veggie nuggets with breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat until it sizzles when sprinkled with water droplets.
- Arrange nuggets in skillet and cook about 4 minutes each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with honey-mustard sauce, ketchup, or other favorite dip.