This deep fried starter is very popular in South East Asia and parts around it. Made with ready to use spring roll wrappers this recipe is really a quick starter to prepare and delicious to eat. The filling is made with a mix of veggies stir fried with oriental sauces. Crispy on the outside and juicy inside these are a favourite recipe for kids’ parties or for that matter any party! You can even turn this vegetarian recipe into a non-vegetarian starter by adding your choice of meat in the filling. Make sure you have it while it’s still hot so you can enjoy the gorgeous crunch of the coating. I like dunking the rolls in some sweet red chilli sauce. So here is the recipe:
- Spring roll wrappers 10
- Spring onions thinly sliced 2
- Onion thinly sliced 1 medium
- Carrots cut into thin strips 2 medium
- Green capsicum cut into thin strips 1 medium
- Cabbage finely shredded 1/2 small
- Oil 2 tablespo
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- Bean sprouts 3/4 cup
- Spring onion greens chopped 2 stalks
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 tablespoon
- To make the stuffing, heat 2 tbsps oil in a non stick wok. Add onion, spring onions, carrots, capsicum, cabbage and salt and toss.
- Add pepper powder and soy sauce and mix. Add bean sprouts and spring onion greens and mix. Cook till the vegetables soften.
- Take the wok off the heat and set aside to cool. Heat sufficient oil in a wok. Make a paste of cornflour with 2 tbsps water.
- Spread the spring roll wrappers on the work top. Divide the stuffing into 10 portions and place a portion on one side of each wrapper. Fold in the edges and roll tightly.
- Apply cornflour paste to open end and seal. Keep the rolls under a damp cloth. Gently slide into the hot oil and deep fry till golden and crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Cut into smaller pieces and serve.