For the vegan stuffed mushrooms
- 14 medium to large white mushrooms (mine measured 5 – 6 cm / 2 – 2.5 inches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing the mushrooms
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling the mushroom caps
- Pepper, to taste
For the parsley-lemon dressing
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- The zest of half a lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Start with the dressing to give the flavours time to develop. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and taste. Adjust the level of acidity, saltiness and lemon to your liking. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and dice them finely. Brush the mushroom caps on both sides with olive oil, sprinkle the insides with a bit of salt and pepper and place them bottom up in a baking dish.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium heat and add the 1 tablespoon of oil and diced shallots. Fry until transparent then add the sliced garlic. Fry until soft and fragrant then add the chopped mushroom stems. Fry until browned, stirring occasionally, then remove the pan from the heat. Stir through the remaining stuffing ingredients.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the stuffing and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown and soft. If the tomatoes or parsley begin to burn, cover the pan loosely with tin foil.
- Serve with the dressing on the side to drizzle over the mushrooms.