8 slices Bacon
1 Onion, large
4 tbsp Dijon mustard, grainy
2 tbsp Maple syrup, good quality
1/3 cup Mayo
Baking & spices
1 tbsp Brown sugar
1 Salt and pepper
Bread & baked goods
8 slices Sandwich bread of your preference
6 oz Arla dofino's gouda
8 tbsp Butter, salted
Beer, wine & spirits
1 tbsp Whiskey, good quality
To make the glazed bacon:
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Start by adding the whiskey, the maple syrup and the brown sugar to a medium sized bowl. Whisk everything together until well combined.
- Add the bacon and toss it until evenly coated with the maple-whiskey mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven proof baking rack on top.
- Lay the bacon on the baking rack in a single layer and bake it for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and crispy.
- Drain the bacon with paper towel and, once cool, cut the bacon slices in half. Reserve.
To make the caramelized onions:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter on a large skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every now and then, until the onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
To make the Mayo-Dijon "sauce":
- Combine the mayo and the grainy Dijon mustard and mix well using a spoon.
To assemble the grilled cheese:
- Lay the bread slices on a board.
- On 4 of them, spread each with ½ tablespoon of butter. On the other 4, spread some of the Mayo-Dijon sauce.
- Add the grated cheese to the buttered slices. On top of that, pile the bacon and the caramelized onions. Top with the remaining slices, sauce side down.
- Butter (1/2 tbsp per slice) the outside of the sandwiches.
- Preheat your grill over medium heat for at least 5 minutes. Add the sandwiches and grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- Allow the sandwiches to cool for a few minutes, cut them in half and serve.