Sarsoon ka saag is traditional Punjabi Dish and also it is very much famous by its name. The cuisine is characterised by a profusion of dairy products in the form of malai, paneer and dahi. The dals are a speciality of this type of cuisine, made of whole pulses like black gram, green gram and Bengal gram. They are cooked on slow fire, often simmered for hours till they turn creamy and then flavoured with spices and rounded off with malai for that rich finish. It is loved by almost every Indian People. So here is the recipe of traditional Punjabi Dish Sarson Ka Saag:
- Fresh mustard leaves (sarson) 5 bunches
- Fresh spinach leaves (palak) 1 bunch
- Bathua 1 bunch
- Olive oil 5 tablespoons
- Ginger sliced 2 one-inch pieces
- Garlic sliced 6-8 cloves
- Onions sliced 2 medium
- Green chillies 4
- Salt to taste
- Cornmeal 2 tablespoons
- Heat three tablespoons olive oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic and onion and sauté for two to three minutes. Roughly chop mustard leaves.
- Add to pan and stir. Roughly chop spinach and bathua. Add to pan and stir. Break the green chillies and add to the pan.
- Add salt to taste and stir well. Let it cook till the greens turn soft.
- Add cornmeal dissolved in a little water and continue to cook till the greens are completely cooked. Cool and grind to a coarse paste.
- Transfer into the pan. Add the remaining olive oil and mix. Simmer for two to three minutes. Serve hot with makki ki roti.