1. Iceland: Iceland tops the list of the most peaceful countries in the world, staying out of the main conflicts in the world. Iceland seldom or never hits the headlines and despite the collapse of the Icelandic banks several years ago, the country is remained as an amazing place of spectacular natural beauty.
2. Denmark: Denmark is the second peaceful country on Earth since it’s really a safe place to live in. Even while Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, was under occupation by the Nazis during the World War II, it still did not fight.
3. Austria: Austria is a small landlocked South Central European country, which gains a place on the list of the most peaceful countries in the world for its stance on international politics. Since World War I and the break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and World War II, Austria has been content to embrace a life of peace and serenity.
4. New Zealand: Each year since 2007, the Institute for Economics and Peace has ranked New Zealand as one of the most peaceful countries in the world. With a small percentage of its population in prison, limited military capability, strong relations with Australia and down-to-earth hospitality, New Zealand is a wonderful country to live in.
5. Portugal: You might be surprised to know that Portugal is one of the most peaceful countries in the world, but it is true. The country has been a member of the EU for roughly 27 years and it forms a part of the European Monetary System and use the single European currency. Portugal is the world’s 43rd largest economy according to the World Bank and it has one of the highest GDP growth rates among the OECD countries.