New Delhi: Stained nails can be embarrassing and unsightly are appealing but thankfully, there are some fairly simple treatments you can use to whiten your nails when they start looking a little discolored. Give one of these techniques a turn so that you can stop hiding your hands in pockets and gloves. Some are:
- Use a baby toothbrush to apply it and give your nails a good scrub for a minute or two. You may need to do it several times depending on how stained your nails are. The white colored pasty toothpaste works best as opposed to the blue or green gel-like toothpaste. Whitening toothpaste with added baking soda is even better!
- For turning your nails bright and white, try this super home remedy. Prepare a mixture containing equal amount of glycerin, rose water and lemon juice and apply this concoction on your nails after thoroughly washing it. Leave it for three to five minutes and wash it off.
- Squeeze half of a lemon (or more) into a plastic bowl, and then add and blend baking soda until you get a nice abrasive paste-like texture. Then use an old toothbrush to scrub your nails with it. Rinse and repeat if needed. If you have any small cuts near your nails, you may want to hold off on this one.
- Massage your nails for 10 minutes after dipping them in almond oil every night before bed to make them stronger from within. The almond oil will nourish your talons; preventing brittleness, boosting nail growth and adding whiteness.
- Prevent stained nails from happening in the first place by using a base coat. Duh, right? It’s definitely worth the extra step! Don’t forget that most of these techniques can dry your hands out, so apply a good moisturizer once you’re finished.
- Healthy nails are always white – so aim for maintaining optimum health of nails by eating right. These made up of keratin- a hard protein, therefore, it becomes important to have a wholesome diet containing necessary vitamins, especially, B-complex, vitamin-E; for boosting the keratin formation and keep your nails healthy. This will not only nourish, but boost the growth of nails too. So, aim for long and strong talons, by consuming B-complex enriched foods such as; fish, egg, beans, broccoli, milk and milk products, potatoes, red meat and more.
- Go for some eye-catching shades of nail paints. Also, very-in these days are that soak off nail-paints that last for 20 days and are very useful for those who complain of chipping nail polishes.