10 – 14 tbsp Nutella
1½ cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup + 2 tbsp milk (I used low fat)
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1 tsp butter, separated (2 x ½ tsp)
Sliced strawberries (optional)
Frozen Nutella Disc
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).
- Dollop 1½ to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 2½" / 6cm in diameter and ⅕" / ½ cm thick. (Note 1) Repeat to make 7 discs.
- Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1½ hours).
- Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).
- Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and place the Wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump free (stop whisking as soon as it is smooth, don't over whisk).
- Melt ½ tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel. (Note 2)
- Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs out of the freezer just before you start cooking. (Note 3)
- Dollop ¼ cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc (Note 4).
- When bubbles start appearing around the edges (around 2 minutes), lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then flip and cook until the other side is golden.