NEW DELHI/DUBAI: At Least eleven immigrant laborers killed of asphyxiation in Najran on Wednesday due to the fire that took place in the windowless house of Saudi Arabia, authorities stated.
“Firefighters put out the blaze in an old house lacking windows for ventilation. Eleven people died of asphyxiation, and six others were injured,” Najran Civil Defense spokesman Capt. Abdullah Al-Farie asserted.
“We received information regarding the fire through a security patrol around 4 A.M. and rushed to the spot,” he stated.
As per the reports, the people who lost their lives belong from India and Bangladesh.
When the fire broke out, the workers were taking deep sleep.
The sources revealed that nearly six workers wounded in the incident. Among six people, five are reported to be in critical condition.
The investigation is in process by Prince Jalawi Bin Abdulaziz, Emir of Najran. A team has been formed that includes Civil Defense, Najran Municipality, Ministry of Labor and Social Development to investigate the matter.
The Emir visited Brig. Ghazi Al-Ghamdi, director of Civil Defense, to investigate about the accident.
The reports revealed that the workers, who were part of a construction company, were residing near a gold market area in Faisaliah district.
It added, the blaze occured due to short circuit in an old air-conditioning unit.
When Indian Consul General Md. Noor Rahman Sheikh got the information regarding the mishap, he immediately sent an official team to help the victims.
As per 2015 figures, about nine million foreigners work in Saudi Arabia and most of them belong from South Asia.
The victims who lost their lives in the incident belongs from Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Bihar.