Teenager to be tried as adult in Delhi Mercedes hit and run case


New Delhi: The Juvenile Justice Board allowed the Delhi Police’s plea, asking to try  the minor accused of running over 32 year old Siddharth Sharma in the Mercedes hit and run case  as an adult in a trial court on Saturday.

In its order, the board said that the accused was in no manner lacking mental and physical capacity to commit the alleged offence.

"The conduct of accused before and after the incident clearly reflects that he understood of the offence alleged against him. Circumstances collectively indicate that accused was indifferent towards life and safety of other users of the road," said Juvenile Justice Board.

The Delhi Police's application sought transfer of the case to a trial court to try as adult the boy, who turned major just four days after the April 4 incident. The Delhi Police had on May 26 chargesheeted the juvenile in the JJB for the offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

The offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder entails a maximum of 10 years jail. The accused has been termed a 'perpetual defaulter', as he had been fined thrice – twice for speeding and once for parking wrongly – last year. The police also chargesheeted the juvenile's father and the family driver in this case. The accused allegedly ran over Sharma with his Mercedes in north Delhi's Civil Lines area on April 4.

The Delhi sessions court upheld the order granting bail to the juvenile, saying it is for the JJB to decide how long the child has to be kept in the reform home.