Relish a salad platter of thinly sliced tomatoes, with chunks of mozzarella, a drizzle of olive oil, sliced black olives and basil leaves. Arrange in concentric circles on a nice white plate. The word relish is just perfect here. And not just salads, for all those rich and good-looking Indian preps, the very famous onion-tomato masala is a must! Then, there are soups, beverages (call for the Bloody Mary!), snacks and even desserts made of these plump red things. Even the green ones are in use today. So here is the recipe:
- Tomatoes chopped 2 medium
- Tomato sliced 1 medium
- Eggs 4
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Onion chopped 1 medium
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon + for garnish
- Green chillies finely chopped 2-3
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1/2
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander chopped 2 tablespo for garnish
- Potato straws 2 cups
- Processed cheese grated 4 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven at 180c.
- Heat a non stick pan; add oil, onion and let it turn golden brown color. Add tomatoes and sauté for a minute.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and cook on medium flame for three to four minutes or till the masala is cooked properly. Add fresh coriander, garam masala powder and fresh coriander. Keep aside.
- Take four medium size oven proof bowls. Fill the bowl with potato straws till ¼ level. Spoon two tablespoons tomato masala on top, sprinkle some cheese over it.
- Break one egg over each bowl and place the bowl over the baking tray and bake it for five to seven minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the oven and sprinkle some red chilli powder on top and garnish with some chopped fresh coriander.