Sydney: Apple’s iPhone 6 Explodes in Man’s Pocket, injured


SYDNEY: An apple iPhone 6 got exploded in a man’s back pocket in New South whales on Wednesday due to which he had suffered injury in his leg. The incident took place while he was mountain biking.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to raise Dawood issue with Pakistan during SAARC meet

The name of the victim has been identified as Gareth Clear, 36 years from Bondi in Australia. On Sunday, he was travelling to Manly Dam in New South Wales where he fell off with his bike, landing on his iPhone 6.

"Seconds later, he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he'd had for just six months ignited, melting through his shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh,” the Daily Telegraph reported.

The victim has been admitted to the hospital in Australia where he will undergo skin graft surgery.

"It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded," Clear was quoted as saying.

"I am 36, I have had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end," he added.

After the explosion, the base of the phone looks like "something from a chemical explosion and the top remains perfectly intact", he said.

Leopard killed by three womens in Haridwar

Da-Wei Wang from the University of New South Wales said, “It was not uncommon for lithium ion batteries in mobile phones to overheat, ignite and explode.”

He further added that, “Explosion caused due to overheating and a faulty design of the phone's structure.”