3/4 cup Sweet potato
1/3 cup Soy milk
Baking & spices
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
2 tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 cup Whole wheat pastry flour + more
Oils & vinegars
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
5 tbsp Very cold coconut oil or earth balance
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate large bowl, mix together milk and mashed sweet potato until evenly combined.
- Grate frozen butter through the large holes of a box grater and toss with dry ingredients until butter is coated. Add milk mixture and mix lightly until dough forms a shaggy mass.
- Turn out mixture onto a floured surface and knead just until it comes together, about 30 seconds (the dough will not be smooth). Use the same minimal touch you reserve for pie pastry.
- Pat into a circle and use a floured rolling pin to roll dough to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, or glass, cut the dough into rounds. Gather leftover dough into a circle, reroll, and cut until you have 8 large biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet, brush tops with heavy cream, and bake until the bottoms are golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.