- 1 cup sooji (semolina)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 tsp powdered green cardamom
- 1 Tbsp blanched and shredded almonds – to garnish
- In a deep, heavy based sauce pan, melt the ghee add the sooji and stir fry over medium/low heat, depending on how often you stir it.
- At the same time in another pan dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat and keep on simmer, till required.
- It is convenient to do this in a pan with a long handle because when you pour the sugar solution into the soojee mixture a lot of steam is created, which burns your hand.
- When the sooji is a light brown and gets a glossy look and does not stick together much (which means it is fried enough) add the sugar solution and the cardamom and bring to a boil, then simmer till the liquid is absorbed. At this stage you can stir off and on, not continuous.
- Serve hot, garnished with the almonds.