Kakrol or Teasel Gourd is one of the sought summer vegetables for any Bengali. Be it the simple fish stew, the regular fritter or with the coconut and mustard stuffing, you will simply like this vegetable in any form. Stuffed Teasel Gourd Fritters is a quintessential Bengali recipe, which otherwise known as Kakrol Pur Bhaja. This side dish goes best with steaming hot rice and the standard Bengali daal. Try this delicious dish and enjoy with your loved ones!
5 teasel gourd
3 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 tablespoon rice flour
500 ml mustard oil
7 tablespoon grated coconut
2 tablespoon poppy seed paste
salt as required
1 tablespoon mustard paste
1 green chilli
sugar as required
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- Firstly, take a bowl and add mustard seed paste and poppy seed paste. Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix well. On the other hand, scrape teasel gourds and remove the rough peels. Cut teasel gourds vertically and create hollow and empty content from inside.
- Now add salt and remaining quantity of turmeric. Mix them well and coat teasel gourds with this mixture. Keep them aside for 10-15 minutes. Then, put teasel gourds in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high heat. On the other hand, pour 6 tablespoon of water in a grinder and add green chilli. Grind them to make a paste of thick consistency.
- Next, place a fry pan over medium flame and add 1 tablespoon of mustard oil. Once the oil is heated, add nigella seeds as tempering and stir it well.
- Now for the filling, add the nigella seeds, mustard-poppy seeds paste and green chilli paste. salt and sugar in the same pan and saute the mixture well until oil starts separating. Add grated coconut. Do not overcook the mixture and turn off the flame. Let the mixture cool.
- For the batter, take a large bowl and add gram flour, rice flour, water, salt and a pinch of turmeric. Mix the batter well. Now coat the stuffed teasel gourds with this batter.
- Now, place a fry pan over medium flame and pour remaining oil in it. Once the oil is heated, add stuffed teasel gourds in the pan and deep fry them. Serve!