Sri Lanka today said it will release 42 Indian fishing boats held in its guardianship since 2015 on a condition that they will never re-enter the nation’s territorial waters.
Fisheries Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said in an announcement yesterday that the Indian government has been informed about this choice.
“They should never return to violate our International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL),” Amaraweera said.
He said that Sri Lanka’s before choice not to discharge the water crafts and supplies while discharging the fishermen had its burning impact.
The Indian government has now prohibited bottom trawling. Amaraweera said the perspectives of the nearby fishery associations were additionally looked for before settling on the choice to discharge the Indian boats.
He said the issue of poaching by Indian fishermen in Sri Lanka had continued for more than 35 years. A few governments from both the sides of Palk Straits had neglected to determine the delicate issue.
On Wednesday, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami looked for the intervention of Prime Minister Narendra Modi for getting back 135 fishing water crafts of state fishermen seized by Sri Lanka over some stretch of time, saying the fishers had been denied of their employment.
Of the 135 vessels, an aggregate of 61 were secured in 2015, 53 in 2016 and 21 in 2017, the Chief Minister noted.