Treasure house of vitamins and minerals, spinach must be included in the week's menu. The usage can be varied: chopped spinach leaves cooked with potatoes is a semi-wet vegetable with rotis, a few spinach leaves thrown in with mixed vegetables and turned into a soup is lovely on a cold winter night, chopped and blanched spinach makes a different sort of raita, spinach puree can be used in cutlets or kababs, the list goes on. So here is the recipe:
- Spinach puree 2 tablespoons
- Potatoes 250 grams
- Refined flour (maida) 75 grams
- Parmesan cheese powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
- Parmesan cheese powder 1 tablespoon
- Garlic cloves finely chopped 6-8
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Red chilli flakes 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable stock 2-3 tablespoons
- Fresh parsley chopped 1 tablespoon
- Wash potatoes nicely and cook in the microwave on high heat for 6-8 minutes. Peel and grate them into a bowl. Add flour, Parmesan cheese powder, salt, nutmeg powder and spinach puree and mix well. Knead into soft dough.
- Boil 5-6 cups water in a deep non-stick pan. Divide the dough into smaller portion and roll into gnocchi with the help of a fork. Add to the boiling water and cook till they start to float on top. Drain and place them in chilled water.
- To make sauce, heat olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add garlic and sauté for half a minute.
- Add chilli flakes and sauté. Add salt and stock and mix. Add cooked gnocchi and toss.
- Serve hot garnished with parsley and Parmesan cheese powder.