Treasure house of vitamins and minerals, spinach must be included in the week's menu. The usage can be varied: chopped spinach leaves cooked with potatoes is a semi-wet vegetable with rotis, a few spinach leaves thrown in with mixed vegetables and turned into a soup is lovely on a cold winter night, chopped and blanched spinach makes a different sort of raita, spinach puree can be used in cutlets or kababs, the list goes on. So here is the recipe:
- Spinach blanched and chopped 1/2 small bunch
- Eggs 4
- White bread slices 8
- Oil 1 tbsp oil as required
- Ginger finely chopped 1/2 inch
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies finely chopped 1-2
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Tomato finely chopped 1 medium
- Salt to taste
- Processed cheese Grated as required
- Mozzarella cheese Grated as required
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Add ginger and cumin seeds and sauté till fragrant. Add spinach, mix and cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, green chillies, coriander powder and onion, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato, mix and cook for a minute. Add salt and eggs, reduce heat, mix and cook for a minute.
- Put some spinach mixture on each bread slice.
- Heat some oil in another non-stick pan.
- Put some processed cheese and mozzarella cheese on top of prepared bread slices. Place them on hot pan, lightly press and toast till the bottom of the bread slices turn golden.
- Cut into triangles and serve hot.