Treasure house of vitamins and minerals, spinach must be included in the week's menu. The usage can be varied: chopped spinach leaves cooked with potatoes is a semi-wet vegetable with rotis, a few spinach leaves thrown in with mixed vegetables and turned into a soup is lovely on a cold winter night, chopped and blanched spinach makes a different sort of raita, spinach puree can be used in cutlets or kababs, the list goes on. So here is the recipe:
- Spinach blanched chopped 1 cup
- Corn corb cream style ½ cup
- Corn kernels boiled ½ cup
- Crackers 12-16
- Butter 2 tablespoons
- Onion finely chopped 1 medium
- Green chilli finely chopped 1
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 1 tablespoon
- Milk ½ cup
- Refined flour (maida) 1 teaspoon
- Processed cheese grated 2 tablespoons
- Tabasco sauce 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to180ºC.
- Heat butter in a non-stick pan, add onion and sauté till it turns translucent.
- Add green chilli and mix well. Add spinach and mix well. Add cream style corn, mix well and cook on a low heat.
- Add corn kernels and mix well. Add salt, lemon juice and mix well. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Mix milk and refined flour in a bowl till smooth. Add this mixture to the pan, mix well and cook on low heat for a minute. Remove from heat and cool down to room temperature.
- Spread this mixture on each cracker, place on a baking tray, top with cheese and a drop of Tabasco sauce. Place the tray in the preheated oven and gratinate for half a minute.
- Serve immediately.