2 cups brown sugar
1 stick butter, room temp
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 eggs, separated
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp all-spice
1 cup buttermilk
CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM
1 cup butter, room temp
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla
5-6 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
5-6 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tbs milk or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In 2 9" cake pans spray with cooking spray and place 2 rounds of parchment paper in bottoms, set aside.
- In bowl with hand mixer cream together your brown sugar and butter until fluffy. Slowly pour in your oil.
- Add your egg yolks one at a time, making sure to mix good after each addition.
- In another bowl mix together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and pinch of salt until combined.
- Alternate adding your dry mixture and buttermilk into your butter/sugar mixture in 3 separate additions, mixing well after each.
- In small bowl beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into your cake batter.
- Pour batter evenly into pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks.
- Meanwhile to make your cinnamon cream cheese filling in large bowl beat your butter until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in your cream cheese and vanilla and continue to beat for another few minutes until combined.
- Add your powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated. Lastly mix in your cinnamon.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make your Pumpkin Buttercream in bowl add your butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
- Add in your pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and mix until incorporated.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until blended adding in your milk or cream until desired consistency is reached.
- Once cakes are cool, using a cake leveler or a serated knife, cut cakes in half, placing one layer onto a turntable.
- Remove your cream cheese filling from refrigerator, top cake layer with about 1/2 cup of frosting and spread to about 1/2 away from side. Repeat with remaining layers reserving about 3/4 cup of frosting for decorating outside of cake.
- Do not use to frost top layer.
- Fill a large piping bag fitted with a flat cake icer tip with your pumpkin buttercream and spin your cake while piping in large bands around cake. Spread smooth with large spatula.
- Add some of the frosting to the top of the cake and spread smooth with spatula.
- Spin turntable around with your spatulas side at an angle smoothing out sides as you turn.
- Once smooth, fill another piping bag fitted with a large star tip with the rest of your cream cheese frosting and pipe small swirls on top if desired and dab little stars around cake.
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes to harden up if desired before cutting.