Siwan Journalist murder case: SC asks CBI to conclude probe in 3 months


Supreme court on Monday directed the CBI to conclude the probe of the murder case of Siwan’s journalist Rajdev Ranjan who was allegedly murdered in Bihar, within three months.

Committee to submit report to Supreme Court by October 17

The 46-year old journalist was shot dead on May 13 at Phal Mandi near Siwan station, barely half a km away from police station, on his way back home from office.

The Bihar Government had recommended the CBI probe into the case on May 16.

The probe for the case has been going on with the suspect being Shahabuddin, who is a MP from Siwan. Ranjan had apparently covered crime reports relating to Shahabuddin. While the later is on a bail right now, the probe wasn’t really progressing much hence this call comes from the SC.

The case came into limelight again after a photograph appeared in the media showing murder suspects Mohammad Kaif and Mohammad Javed with gangster-politician Mohammed Shahabuddin after his release from jail.

Kaif, however, later rubbished all accusations against him and said he has no involvement in Rajdev’s murder case.

A bench comprising justices Dipak Misra and Amitava Roy made it clear that no accused in the murder case shall seek bail on the statutory ground that charge sheets have not been filed in the matter.

The bench also sought a report from the sessions judge at Siwan as to whether the two absconding offenders, Mohammad Kaif and Mohd Javed, were declared proclaimed offenders in the case on the day they were seen along with Bihar Health minister Tej Pratap Yadav and controversial RJD leader Shahabuddin.

Bihar government, meanwhile, told the bench that the two accused in question were not declared proclaimed offenders when they met the Bihar Health Minister at Siwan.

Mr. Ranjan’s wife Asha Ranjan had on September 23 claimed before the apex court that the CBI had not even started its probe in the case due to “political influence” and “fear of Shahabuddin”.

In response, the apex court issued notices and sought responses from Rashtriya Janata Dal leader Shahabuddin, Bihar Health Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav’s son Tej Pratap Yadav.

During the hearing Tej Pratap admitted that he accepted bouquet from the Hindustan journalist murder accused but denied claims of his involvement in the murder case.

Asha had also filed a petition seeking the transfer of the case from Bihar to Delhi. The matter is in hands of the coveted CBI and now with the three months deadline, it can be expected that the probe will lead to some action being taken strictly.

For Latest Hindi News,Click Here