The cuisine of Uttar Pradesh is synonymous with a wide variety as every city in this state offers a different but equally sumptuous cuisine for the gourmet. Most families in Uttar Pradesh eat vegetarian food, although meat delicacies cooked in the Awadh style are world famous. Average cuisines in Uttar Pradesh revolve around the simple, vegetable curries of all kinds. But there is a predominance of fried foods which are a must especially during festivals and special occasions. The irresistible Mughlai food is reminiscent of the Nawabi and the Mughal glory. So here is the recipe:
- Custard Apples Pulp 3/4 cup
- Chenna 2 cups
- Oil 1 teaspoon
- Almonds chopped 1 tablespoon
- Pistachios chopped 1 tablespoon
- Cashewnuts chopped 1 tablespoon
- khoya / mawa 1 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Green cardamom powder a pinch
- Few blanched and chopped pistachios for garnishing
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add almonds, pistachios and cashewnuts and sauté lightly.
- Add chenna, khoya and sugar and mix well. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or till the sugar dissolves.
- Add custard apple pulp and mix well. Add green cardamom powder, mix and switch off the heat.
- Place some pistachios at the base of an aluminum tray. Pour the kalakand mixture over them and let it set.
- Cool, cut into pieces and serve.