- For the dough:
- 1½ cups maida/all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil/butter/ghee
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain/omam/carom seeds
- For potato peas filling:
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ cup fresh green peas
- 1 long green chilli
- ½ " ginger piece
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon amchur/dry mango powder OR chaat masala powder
- ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Oil for deep frying samosa.
- To make dough:
- Take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well till crumbs are formed.
- Add ¼ cup water and knead to a tight dough
- Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- To make potato filling:
- Pressure or steam cook potatoes and peas until soft. Peel and coarsely mash the potatoes.
- Crush the ginger-chilli.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add crushed green chilli-ginger and saute well.
- Add potato-peas and saute well.
- Add salt, turmeric, coriander and garam masala powder. Mix well and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add amchur powder and chopped cilantro. Mix well and remove to a bowl.
- To make samosa:
- Take the kneaded dough and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Take one portion and place on a dusted working surface. Roll it into a circle.
- Make cut in the middle of the circle to get 2 semi circles. Apply some water over the edges.
- Take one semi circle and join the edges to make a cone.
- Stuff 2-3 teaspoons of prepared filling in the cone and seal the edges.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Slide 2-3 prepared cones in the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown from both sides.
- Drain excess oil and serve samosa hot
1.Adding oil or ghee to the dough is important to get flaky crust.
2.Do not knead the dough more. just bring the dough together and knead very gently.
3.You can add chaat masala powder if amchur is not available.
4. As mentioned in the recipe, the dough should not be rolled very thin or thick.