Resident of Parbhani arrested by Maharashtra ATS for being in contact with ISIS


The resident of Parbhani has been arrested by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) officials for allegedly being in contact with Islamic State (IS) members over social media.

Atleast 18 fake accounts have been made by him over social media through which he came in contact with IS members of Syria.  

“He was named as ‘Syrian national’, said ATS.

The person has been recognized as ‘Nasir Bin Yafi Chaus’. He is a member of middle-class family and hadn’t completed his education.

According to the additional director general of police (ATS), Atulchandra Kulkarni, specific information was received that a 31-year-old resident of Parbhani was in touch with IS members via social media and was planning to leave for IS territory to join the terror outfit.

Deputy commissioner of police, ATS, Dhananjay Kulkarni said,  "Our inquiry revealed that for the past one year, through various social media platforms and various IDs, Chaus was in touch with a Syria-based man identified as Farooq. Farooq is a man with a radical ideology. After several conversations, Farooq managed to brainwash Chaus and persuaded him to commit terrorist activities in India. Chaus was also a victim of internet radicalisation," said an ATS officer.

“Farooq had tasked Chaus to raise funds and conduct recruitment for IS”, police sources said.

"Once this was achieved, Farooq had assured Chaus that he would be called to Syria. We are conducting probes to find out who all from IS Chaus was in touch with through social media," the officer said.

Chaus's online activities came under the radar of the state ATS officials, after which the police kept a watch on him.

The inquiry revealed that Chau’s had a plan to go to Syria and meet IS members, a police team from the Nanded Unit of ATS snitched him.

A case has been filed under sections of Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act pertaining to charges of criminal conspiracy.

The hearing of the case will be announced in Aurangabad court on July 20, police said.