Contrary to popular belief a vegetarian diet gives you all the nutrients you will ever require to live a fit and healthy life. With low saturated fat and cholesterol, high fiber content and rich complex carbohydrates – veggie delights like greens, pulses and curries are your best bet at a meal which is nutritious and tasty. So here is the recipe:
- Chickpeas (kabuli chana) soaked overnight 1 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Dried Indian gooseberry (amla) 3-4
- Tea leaves 2 teaspoons
- Oil 4 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 2 teaspoons
- Green chillies silt 2
- Tomatoes 4 medium
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Pomegranate seeds (anardana) powdered 1 tablespoon
- Fresh coriander leaves 2 tablespoons
- Take chickpeas in a pressure cooker. Add three cups of water. Tie tea leaves and dried amla in a piece of muslin cloth and add along with salt.
- Cook under pressure for four to five whistles or until the chickpeas are completely done and tender. Remove the muslin cloth bag.
- Puree three tomatoes and cut the remaining into one-inch cubes. Roast one teaspoon cumin seeds. Cool and powder. Heat two tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the remaining cumin seeds.
- When they begin to change colour add slit green chillies and sauté for a minute. Add tomato puree and sauté till oil begins to separate. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and anardana powder and sauté till oil separates.
- Add drained chana and mix well. Adjust salt and simmer for five to ten minutes. Take it off the heat. Heat the remaining oil in another pan.
- Add the tomato cubes and sauté for a minute. Pour this into the chana mixture and keep it covered for five minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.