Flavorful creamy broth, with fresh green beans, potatoes and bacon, make this a great soup year round, but especially when you have those fresh garden green beans!
- 4 cups fresh green beans, ends snipped and cut into small pieces
- 1 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and ⅛'d
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel and cut potatoes into ⅛s. Boil either on your stove or in the microwave until tender. Drain water and slightly mash. Set aside.
- Steam green beans until slightly tender. Set aside.
- In your dutch oven, cook bacon pieces until slightly crispy, remove bacon with a slotted spoon, drain excess fat, but don't wipe the bottom clean.
- Add onion to dutch oven and saute in drippings until soft.
- Add bacon back in, add green beans, mashed potatoes, and cover with milk and cream.
- Warm for a bit until heated through, taking care not to boil.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
This soup can be lightened up by using either half & half or all milk. If using all milk, it won't be quite as thick of a broth.