Paneer Biryani, unlike other regular Vegetable Biryani is an enhanced version of Pulao Rice.Perfect to make for a celebration or even as a part of weekend Menu.
- 500g Paneer, cubed
- 1.5 Cup Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kasturi Methi ( Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 Tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Tblsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tsp Mint Leaves
- 1 Green Chillies finely Chopped is optional
- 3 Medium Sized Onions or 2 Large Onion thinly sliced and airfryed.
- 2 Cups of Rice
- 6 Cups of Water
- 11/2 Tsp Salt
Whole Spices (Garam Masala’s)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 10 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 Tsp of Finely Chopped Mint Leaves
- 2 Pinch of Saffron soaked in 6 Tsp hot milk
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon Cardamom Cloves Powder
- 4 Tbslpn of Butter or Ghee
- Fried Onions
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients for marination and set aside minimum of 30 minutes. It can stay marinated for 2 hours or so if time permits.
Prepare fried Onions
- I have airfryed my Onions for a healthy alternative. If you like, you could fry them. Heat Oil in a pan and add the sliced onions. Fry them in medium flame until golden brown. Set them aside.
- Wash and Rinse the rice a couple of times and allow them to sit for atleast 30 minutes.
- To a large pot, add the boiling water from the kettle followed by the whole spices and Salt.
- Now add the rice and allow it to cook just 50%. To test, pick up one of the rice grain and check, it should break into halves.
- Drain all the water at this stage and set the rice aside.
- To the Cocotte, add the Butter or even a combination of butter and oil. Now add the marinated Paneer and layer them tidily.
- Layer the paneer with all the rice.
- Top it with fried onions, saffron soaked in milk, Cinnamon Cardamom Cloves Powder,Finely chopped mint leaves and some more butter.
- Cover with a moist cloth and then place the tight lid.
- Allow the rice to cook in medium flame for 5 min and then for another 5 minutes in low flame.
- Turn off the flame and set it aside. Since the cocotte would retain the heat, Biryani will tend to cook further.
- Serve them hot along with a bowl of Onion Raita. You could also pair Paneer Biryani wit Cucumber Raita,Plum Raita or Boondi Raita.