Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
- 3 cups (375g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (170g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (100ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 – 24 teaspoons Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Spray or butter a 12-hole muffin pan, and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin slots, filling only half way. Spoon 1 – 2 teaspoons of Nutella into the centres, then pour the rest of the batter over the tops.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted just off centre (to avoid Nutella) comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.