Seoul: A missile launch attempt appears to have failed of North Korea on Tuesday morning says a South Korean military official.
The launch attempt took place at around 5:20 a.m. Seoul time (2020 GMT), said the official, who asked not to be identified, without elaborating. South Korea's Yonhap News Agency said the attempted launch appeared to have been of an intermediate-range Musudan missile.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that the North had launched what appeared to be an intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missile, but added that it had been unsuccessful.
If true, that would make it the fourth failed attempt by the North to conduct a successful test launch of the new missile, which could potentially reach faraway U.S. military bases in Asia and the Pacific.
Yonhap, citing an unidentified government source, said the missile exploded at a mobile launch pad as soon as a launch button was pressed. The report, if confirmed, suggests the missile may have even failed to lift off. Yonhap did not say how its source obtained the information.
Seoul defence officials said they could not immediately confirm the report.