NEET Ordinance approved by Cabinet, common medical tests for a year


New Delhi: The Union Cabinet reaches a conclusion to bring an ordinance to keep state board out of the extent of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) this year on Friday.  According to sources, the cabinet passed the ordinance and now it will be sent to the President for approval.

However, students seeking admission to private medical colleges and deemed universities will have to take the exam, sources said.

Union health minister JP Nadda clarified in a statement that NEET had been implemented and the phase 2 exam on July 24 will take place. He also said that state concerns are being addressed.

Nearly 6.5 lakh students appeared for the first phase on May 1.

Last month, the Supreme Court ruled that all government colleges, deemed universities and private medical colleges would be covered under NEET. States, however, opposed the ruling saying their syllabus is different from that of the Central board, resulting in a disadvantage to their students.

Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, meanwhile, opposed the government move. He tweeted a letter he wrote to the PM urging not to bring an ordinance. “It would send the message that the government is with those who have black or untaxed money.”

The Supreme Court had on May 9 rejected pleas of states and minority institutions to allow them to hold separate entrance exams for MBBS and BDS courses for 2016-17, saying only NEET provides for conducting such test for admission to these courses.