- Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta) – 1 ½ cups + some more for dusting
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – ½ teaspoon, optional
- Salt – to taste
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi leaves) – ¾ cup, plucked, measured, washed and then chopped
- Green chilies – 2 small, chopped finely
- Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 tablespoons + more for frying the theplas
- Warm water – little less than 1/2 cup or as needed
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 22 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each circle, on a medium flame, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with chunda or sweet mango pickle.