- Fenugreek Leaves 3 cups
- Gram Flour finely chopped 2 cups
- Asafoetida 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Carom seeds (ajwain) 1/4 teaspoon
- Fried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion finely chopped 1 medium
- Green chilli finely chopped 1
- Ginger-garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Oil to cook
- Mix asafoetida with little water in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together gram flour, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds, kasoori methi, asafoetida water, fenugreek leaves, onion, green chilli, ginger-garlic paste and sufficient water to make a thick batter. Rest the batter for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick tawa. Pour ½ tsp oil on the tawa and spread it with a tissue paper.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tawa and spread it evenly. Drizzle some oil all around and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. When the underside is done, flip, and drizzle some oil all around. Cook on the other side till evenly done. Transfer onto a plate. Similarly, make all the cheelas.
- Transfer the cheelas into a serving plate and serve hot with green chutney.