Dosas are the most popular South Indian recipe one can think of. With its endless varieties, this breakfast recipe is loved by everyone. A very healthy recipe for breakfast and brunch, Masala Dosa is a delicious recipe that is made using rice and lentils. The crispy pancakes are served best with coconut and green chutney and sambhar. This masala dosa is made by stuffing lightly cooked potatoes, onions, green chilli and spices. Make sure that the batter is fermented well and the masala dosa is sure to taste divine. Pair it with different chutney and some crispy vadas for a complete meal.
2 cup parboiled rice
1/2 cup urad dal
2 pinches salt
1/4 cup refined oil
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 kilograms boiled,cubed,peeled potato
2 medium chopped green chilli
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon powdered turmeric
2 pinches salt
1 1/2 cup sliced onion
2 tablespoon refined oil
10 leaves curry leaves
1/4 cup water
- To prepare the batter for masala dosa, wash and soak the rice (with fenugreek added into it) and urad dal in separate containers for approximately 6-8 hours. Once the rice and urad dal are soaked, grind them separately in a mixer till the mixture gets a smooth consistency. Take the batter of both the ingredients in a bigger container and add salt to it. Allow it to ferment overnight.
- For preparing the filling of the dosa, heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan and splutter mustard seeds in it. Now add sliced onions, curry leaves, green chilies and saute them till the onions turn pink. Then add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Now take the cubed potatoes and add them to the sauteed onions, and mix them together. Pour some water into the mixture and allow the potatoes to simmer the mixture for around 4 minutes. When the mixture is in semi-thick state, put the gas knob off and let it rest for a few seconds.
- Now take a dosa tawa and heat it on low-medium flame. Smear a little oil on it to prepare the dosa. When the tawa is hot, pour and spread the batter of urad dal and rice evenly into a circular motion.
- While the colour of dosa’s edges turns into brown, put the flame to low and sprinkle few drops of oil on the dosa sides and put 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold the dosa. Serve hot masala dosa with coconut chutney and sambhar.