As the Marwari business man settled down in many regions of the country, like Punjab, UP, Mumbai, Pune, Gujarat, Kolkata, Assam, Meghalaya and also abroad to expand his business and trade, he also adopted the regional culture and cuisine. The Marwari vegetarian food again comes in two varieties i.e. the food eaten by the common man that includes use of various spices and herbs and the food of the Marwari Jains that is prepared without using onions, garlic or for that matter any ingredient growing under the soil except for ginger and groundnuts. Marwari vegetarian cooking has its own unique flavour where the simplest and the most basic of ingredients go into the preparation of most of the dishes. There are some specific reasons for the use of some specific ingredients. The harsh climate plus the non-availability of a lot of ingredients have shaped the traditional cuisine. So here is the recipe:
- Refined flour (maida) 1 cup
- Ghee 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Salt A pinch + to taste
- Oil 1 tablespo for deep-frying
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
- Split skinless green gram (moong dal) soaked 3/4 cup
- Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds roasted 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri dried red chillies roasted 3-4
- Dried mango powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Combine flour, 1 tablespoon ghee and a pinch salt in a bowl. Add sufficient water and knead into a stiff dough.
- To make the filling, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and let the seeds change colour. Add asafoetida, gram and mix well. Add garam masala powder, salt and little water, mix well, cover and cook till fully done.
- Grind together coriander seeds and red chillies into a coarse powder.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Add prepared powder, dried mango powder and remaining ghee to the filling and mix well. Let it get heated through. Transfer onto a plate and let it cool.
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Make a dent in each portion, stuff with a portion of the prepared filling and shape into kachoris.
- Deep-fry kachorisin hot oil till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.