The cuisine of Uttar Pradesh with a wide variety as every city in this state offers a different but equally sumptuous cuisine for the gourmet. Most families in Uttar Pradesh eat vegetarian food, although meat delicacies cooked in the Awadh style are world famous. Average cuisines in Uttar Pradesh revolve around the simple, vegetable curries of all kinds. But there is a predominance of fried foods which are a must especially during festivals and special occasions. The irresistible Mughlai food is reminiscent of the Nawabi and the Mughal glory. The world renowned Dum Pukht (means ‘to breathe and to cook’) cuisine owes its excellence to the fact that the food, sealed in a dish and slow-cooked in its own juices, retains its entire natural aromas and flavours. Lucknow is famous for its biryanis and different meat preparations. A very interesting aspect of Awadh cuisine is the inspiration it draws from a myriad sources – seasons and celebrations, flora and fauna, personalities, poetry and colour. So here is the recipe:
- Whole milk 1 litre
- Saffron (kesar) a few strands
- Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar 8 tablespoons
- Citric acid 2 pinches
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom powder ¼ teaspoon
- Almonds chopped 4-5
- Pistachios chopped 7-8
- Bring the milk to a boil in a deep non-stick pan. Cook, stirring continuously, for about twenty minutes, till it reduces to half its original volume.
- Soak the saffron in two teaspoons of warm milk and add to the boiling milk.
- Add the Sugar Free Natura Diet Sugar and continue to cook for four to five minutes.
- Mix the citric acid in one tablespoon of water and add gradually to the boiling milk. Cook till the milk curdles slightly.
- Mix the cornflour with the remaining two teaspoons of milk and add to the pan. Cook, stirring continuously, for about forty-five minutes till the mixture thickens and resembles khoya.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Divide into sixteen equal portions and shape into round balls. Decorate with almonds and pistachios, and serve.