The cuisine of Uttar Pradesh is synonymous with a wide variety as every city in this state offers a different but equally sumptuous cuisine for the gourmet. Most families in Uttar Pradesh eat vegetarian food, although meat delicacies cooked in the Awadh style are world famous. Average cuisines in Uttar Pradesh revolve around the simple, vegetable curries of all kinds. But there is a predominance of fried foods which are a must especially during festivals and special occasions. The irresistible Mughlai food is reminiscent of the Nawabi and the Mughal glory. The world renowned Dum Pukht (means ‘to breathe and to cook’) cuisine owes its excellence to the fact that the food, sealed in a dish and slow-cooked in its own juices, retains its entire natural aromas and flavours. Lucknow is famous for its biryanis and different meat preparations. A very interesting aspect of Awadh cuisine is the inspiration it draws from a myriad sources – seasons and celebrations, flora and fauna, personalities, poetry and colour. So here is the recipe:
- Fresh cream 1 cup
- Boneless chicken legs, cut into small pieces 4
- Oil for greasing
- Salt to taste
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
- Black pepper powder ¼ teaspoon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Processed cheese grated 1 cup
- Cornflour/ corn starch ½ tablespoon
- Green cardamom powder a pinch
- Silver warq for garnishing
- Preheat the oven at 180° C. Grease a baking tray with oil.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl, add salt, garlic paste, ginger paste, nutmeg powder, black pepper powder and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Mash the cheese in a parat, add cornflour and mix well. Add cardamom powder, chicken pieces and mix well.
- Add cream and mix gently. Transfer into a bowl and set aside to marinate for ½ hour.
- String the chicken pieces onto skewers and place them on a baking tray, apply the remaining marinade on them and place the tray in the preheated oven. Cook, turning sides, for about 16-18 minutes or till evenly done.
- Transfer the chicken onto a serving dish, decorate with silver warq and serve.